A biography is a detailed description or account of someone's life. More than a list of basic facts (education, work, relationships, and death), a biography also portrays a subject's experience of these events. Unlike a profile or curriculum vitae (résumé), a biography presents a subject's life story, highlighting various aspects of his or her life, including intimate details of experience, and may include an analysis of a subject's personality.
Biographical works are usually non-fiction, but fiction can also be used to portray a person's life. One in-depth form of biographical coverage is called legacy writing. Biographical works in diverse media—from literature to film—form the genre known as biography.
An authorized biography is written with the permission, cooperation, and, at times, participation of a subject or a subject's heirs.
An autobiography is about a life of a subject, written by that subject or sometimes with a collaborator.
or Shen Kua
: Shěn Kuò
: Shen K'uo
) (1031–1095), style name Cunzhong
and pseudonym Mengqi Weng
, was a polymathic Chinese scientist
and statesman of the Song Dynasty
(960–1279). Excelling in many fields of study and statecraft, he was a mathematician
, hydraulic engineer
, academy chancellor
, finance minister
, governmental state inspector, poet
, and musician
. He was the head official for the Bureau of Astronomy
in the Song court, as well as an Assistant Minister of Imperial Hospitality. At court his political allegiance was to the Reformist faction known as the New Policies Group
, headed by Chancellor Wang Anshi
(1021–1086). (Read more...)
On this day – September 19
- 86 - Antoninus Pius, Roman Emperor (pictured) (d. 161)
- 1882 - Christopher Stone, first disc jockey in the United Kingdom (d. 1965)
- 1905 - Leon Jaworski, American Watergate scandal special prosecutor (d. 1982)
- 1911 - Sir William Golding, English writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1993)
- 1922 - Emil Zátopek, Czech athlete (d. 2000)
- 1928 - Adam West, American actor
- 1934 - Brian Epstein, English musical group manager (the Beatles) (d. 1967)
- 1940 - Bill Medley, American singer and songwriter (The Righteous Brothers)
- 1948 - Jeremy Irons, English actor
- 1949 - Twiggy, English model
- 1963 - David Seaman, English footballer
- 1963 - Jarvis Cocker, English musician
"From without, no wonderful effect is wrought within ourselves, unless some interior, responding wonder meets it. That the starry vault shall surcharge the heart with all rapturous marvelings, is only because we ourselves are greater miracles, and superber trophies than all the stars in universal space."
— Herman Melville
In Pierre: or, The Ambiguities, 1852
The following Wikimedia
sister projects provide more on this subject: